Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Fert Update and a Question

First off, let me tell you that I am a raging idiot. I slept like total crap on Monday night, waking up every hour. It never dawned on me that, um, perhaps, just maybe, I was a little keyed up about our initial fertilization report. Duh! It wasn't until I read Tam's description of her bad night's sleep until I realized that what was going on with me. Oh well, even though I'm thicker than cement sometimes, at least I smell nice. (Or so I like to think.)

Today's report is good. All 4 embryos are still hanging in there. Transfer is scheduled for 9:15am tomorrow. We need to be there at 8:45am. The crazy thing is that even though the office is only about 30 miles away, we will need to leave around 6:45am due to the outrageous traffic in our area. Oh well, a small price to pay. If it works.

Last cycle, we browbeat the Doctor into transferring 3 embryos. Two were of excellent quality, one was good. Even so, they really didn't want to transfer more than 2. But we persisted, and in the end we won. Not that it mattered anyway.

This is going to sound psycho, but I swear I want them to transfer all 4. Let me state right up front that I do not secretly long for twins. Our *magic number* of children has always been a nice, even 2. Since we have Megan, the basic math leaves us at wanting just 1 more. Now, don't get me wrong at all, we'd be THRILLED with whatever we got -- one, two, three. But if we were given a choice, we'd take 1. We don't doubt our ability to care for multiple babies, but carrying them to term (especially given my age, and my difficult pregnancy with Megan) would be tricky for sure.

Having said that, we all know that my egg quality is crap. I mean, we put back 3 embryos last time, only 1 of them took, and it was abnormal (Trisomy 5). Our RE theorized that perhaps the other embryos just couldn't get out of the tough, leathery shell of my shriveled up eggs, so we are going to do Assisted Hatching this time.

Will AH make a difference? If we put back 3 with AH, will we have better results? What if we can convince them to put back all 4 (which they pretty much never do in this clinic unless they are all poor quality)? I also feel bad because if we transfer 3 of them, then that leaves 1 behind. Everyone agrees that there is no way our embryos would a) make it 6 days to freeze, or b) make it through the thaw to do an FET. So, in essence, we'd be wasting that last embryo. Shouldn't we give it a fighting chance? What about that theory of "No Man Left Behind?"

I don't know whether it helps or hurts, but Kevin is with me 100% on this thinking. He's just as torn about lobbying (begging) to put back 4 so that we don't "waste" an embryo, but also scared of the complications trying to carry high order multiples.

We'll make the decision once we get the report tomorrow -- immediately prior to transfer -- about the embryo quality. But, in the meantime, if you come across this post before we leave in the morning, please weigh in and let me know what you think. Thanks!

8 comments:

Reproductive Jeans said...

Whew! 4! But I totally understand where you are coming from...and if you all have a good feeling about it overall, then maybe it would be OK? I dont know too much about AH, but maybe if that helps then you can go down to 3? BEST OF LUCK no matter what!

Erin said...

I'm so glad to hear the embryos are doing so well!

4 is definitely a lot, but you know what you're ready for more than anyone! We must have opposite RE's because mine would NOT need any browbeating, he'd be the one doing it. I hope yours will agree to do what you want! Good luck.

Erin

Sticky Bun said...

That's such a tough all. Ultimately, you just need to go with your gut. I can definitely understand your impulse to put all 4 back. I probably wouldn't be that daring. It seems to me that one of the important questions is, would you be open to selective reduction? If not, 4 might be too risky. If so, then the benefit might outweigh the risks.

(How's that for straddling the fence? :-)

Best of luck with whatever you decide!!

Inconceivable said...

Oh, I don't think I'm remotely qualified to state my measly opinion. I am just a well wisher and a cheerleader knowing that you are fully capable to do whatever it takes to make the right decision. I agree, go with the gut!! Blessing to you tomorrow

Tam said...

It's definately a hard choice to make, what have they graded your embies at? I think that AH will definately help them implant anyway, you've been through this before, go with you gut sweetie - I have a feeling that you'll put 4 back anyway.

SB is right, you'll have to deal with whatever the outcome is afterwards and I'm sure you'll manage.

Good luck sweetie!

Laura, the (reluctant) baroness said...

You're already on your way, I'm sure, but just wanted to wish you the best of luck with the transfer, and I hope your decision on the number wasn't too difficult. Thinking of you. . .

Kate said...

Best of luck!!

LJ said...

Wow, I know nothing about AH yet, so I'm definitely curious about what your doctor says.

I'm the worst for doing this, but have you read up in Dr. Google about assisted hatching? What does she say about odds from that?